Saturday 7 January 2012

The Rise of the Quarter Life Crisis...

Is 25 the new 30? With so much pressure on women in their mid-twenties to have reached a certain point in their life, it’s no wonder that 25 seems more daunting than ever. For most of us, a mortgage, promotion and savings account should be well under way by the time we reach the quarter century milestone. But, in reality, that may not be the case. So, instead of splurging on an expensive sports car and getting a dramatic haircut, it would seem that when 25 is looming, we decide to quit our jobs and travel the world, or ditch the single life for a family instead…well that's what I did at least!



After three years at university and two years moulding the start of my career, I'd reached a stumbling block in the road. So, one hungover Sunday, in a quaint Essex cafe, my best friend and I decided it would be a fabulous idea to leave our jobs in the middle of a recession and do a Thelma and Louise tour around the USA!




It was definitely one of the most amazing experiences of my life - but when I returned, the 25-year crisis had started to hit. Penniless, living back at home with the parents and unable to get my foot back in my professional door - a meltdown was about to ensue.

One broken arm and dislocated knee later - I'd started to turn it around again! So, by the time 26 rocked around, I was finally back on track - sparkling new job, cosy Victorian pad and a suitably improved bank balance!


 So, I might still be single, still renting and still shopping at Primark - but the pressure's off for another few years at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment